An important routine in facial care is the application of toners, serums and moisturizers before ending with sunscreen. However, pregnant mothers can be apprehensive about the use of such facial products, hence we created this list of pregnancy-safe toner for expecting moms to use!
The function of toner or facial freshener is to gently refresh the skin without removing its natural moisture.
This means that toners should not irritate sensitive skin or cause extreme dryness while preparing the skin to absorb products such as moisturizers more effectively.
How to Choose the Best Pregnancy-safe Toner
First and foremost, avoid products that use formulas such as alcohol, parabens, synthetic dyes, and mineral oils. Alcohol has several “secret" names, which allow it to go undetected in the ingredient list.
- Check labels and look for words like ethanol, denatured alcohol, ethyl alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol — in reality, they all refer to alcohol that can hurt your skin!
So what should you look for?
- Botanical products are rich in vitamins such as artichokes.
- Antioxidant-rich ingredients such as camellia and fermented rice.
- Soothing and hydrating ingredients such as aloe and hyaluronic acid.
- Anti-ageing ingredients such as niacinamide and peptides.
As a substitute for alcohol-based toners, it’s best to look for toners with a mineral base — specific ingredients like chamomile, ginseng, or peppermint is great for skin, especially oily or sensitive skin.
3 Best Pregnancy-safe Toner
#1 CosRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
This CosRX toner is a gentle exfoliating toner formulated with AHA, BHA, and purifying botanical ingredients that improve skin texture and elasticity, while reducing pore size.
It can soothe, refresh and soften the skin with a content of 0.1% AHA Glycolic Acid and BHA Betaine Salicylate. In fact, it can also reduce dull skin and get rid of dead skin cells.
What we like:
- Made with natural ingredients: 10% Pyrus Malus Fruit Water (Apple) and Salix Alba Water (Willow), this toner is gentle enough for daily use for all skin types.
- Can be used as a mask toner, just pour it onto a cotton pad for instant hydration on the skin.
- Vegan, cruelty-free, paraben-free, hypoallergenic.
Ingredients: Mineral Water, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Water, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Water, Butylene Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Sodium Lactate, Glycolic Acid, Betaine Salicylate, Allantoin, Panthenol, Ethyl Hexanediol
#2 Indie Lee CoQ-10 Toner
Hydrating and balancing the pH level, this product does not dry out the skin. The CoQ-10 Toner is alcohol-free and formulated with Hyaluronic Acid, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Cucumber, Sage and enzymes from Papaya. This ingredient make-up makes the skin much calmer, smoother and protected from environmental pollution. The combination of plant, flower and fruit extracts benefit the skin with an immersive, fresh aroma!
What we like:
- Hydrates and rebalances the skin with Hyaluronic Acid and Aloe Vera essence — Cucumber and Aloe Vera extracts to provide skin relief.
- Alcohol-free and formulated with antioxidants CoQ-10 and Sage.
- Skin elasticity increases while being protected from pollution and environmental invaders.
- Suitable for all skin types.
- Formulated without 1,300+ banned substances including parabens, mineral oils, sulfate-based detergents, synthetic fragrances, petroleum-based ingredients, phthalates, phenoxyethanol, formaldehyde and GMO ingredients.
Ingredients: Distilled Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis, Ubiquinone (Coenzyme Q10), Hyaluronic Acid, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile), Salvia Officinalis (Sage), Carica Papaya Leaf Extract, Cucumis Sativus Extract (Cucumber), 1 Citrus Aurantium Flower Oil, 3 Propanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Potassium Sorbate.
#3 Dickinson Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner
This toner is gentle, non-drying and non-irritating to the skin, as well as fragrance-free for sensitive skin. It helps remove dirt and makeup residue, and can even be used daily.
Additionally, it does not contain dyes, sulfates, parabens or gluten. This toner makes the skin feel healthily hydrated and is able to cleanse all skin types.
What we like:
- Cleanses the skin in a single step.
- Made from 100% natural ingredients for an exclusive formula from plants.
- Removes and balances the skin’s oil content while soothing and refreshing, all without being dry.
- Recommended by a dermatologist.
- Suitable for sensitive skin and pregnant women.
Ingredients: Natural Witch Hazel
Disclaimer: You are not allowed to share this article on any other website or on Facebook without providing proper credit and the original article link on theAsianparent Malaysia website
Read more: Best Prenatal Vitamins For Pregnant Women