12-year-old boy rapes 6-year-old sister after watching sex scene in video game
He wanted to 'see what it was like for himself'...
A 12-year-old boy raped his sister three times after being influenced by sex scenes from a video game. The 6-year-old girl was told that they were 'special bundles and snuggles'.
The boy told Swindon Youth Court, in England, that he watched a sexual act in the game, 'Grand Theft Auto', and recreated the scene on his sister more than once.
The game in question, is for those aged 18 and above, and is known for the graphic nature of sex and violence. The boy wanted to try out the scenes to 'see what it was like for himself'.
Apparently, he raped his sister while the adults in the house were asleep, or in another room. On one occasion, another sibling was in the room when it happened.
The incidents came to light when the little victim confided in her school friend, and the girl told their teacher. The boy has pleaded guilty to the charges.
When asked by the judge what he would do if he had the opportunity to commit his crimes again, the boy replied, "I would stop myself, I have learned that it's wrong."
The boy is currently not living with his siblings. He will have to complete a 12-month referral order.
“We just want to make things right and do what’s best for the safety of the children," the boy’s mother has been quoted as saying.
"My daughter used to be very sad this was her fault, but she’s come on leaps and bounds, she’s a very strong girl and there’s not an ounce of sadness in her now, I’m so proud of her,” she said.
Real Dangers of Watching Porn or Adult Content on Children
Pornography is a serious menace. Research has found out that long term exposure to pornography can cause many detrimental behaviours. A study by the American College of Paediatricians found out that subjects:
- demonstrated increased callousness toward women (for males only)
- considered the crime of rape less serious
- were more accepting of non-marital sexual activity and non-coital sexual practices such as oral and anal sex
- became more interested in more extreme and deviant forms of pornography
- were more likely to say they were dissatisfied with their sexual partner
- became more accepting of sexual infidelity in a relationship
- valued marriage less and were twice as likely to believe marriage may become obsolete
- showed a greater acceptance of female promiscuity
- Placing home computers in public spaces in the home, and never in a child’s room (including mobile phones, iPads, gaming devices, etc.)
- Set and enforce limits around screen time.
- Equip all media devices with Internet filters and parental controls.
- Model healthy, respectful relationships and self-worth.
- Talk to your child openly. Share your family’s values and expectations regarding sex and relationships.
- Know what your children are watching, playing and listening to. Discuss any inappropriate content or behaviours with them.
ACPeds president and pediatrician, Michelle Cretella, M.D. warns parents that, “The chances of accidentally coming across porn at some point is probably close to 100 percent for most kids.”
“Tell them that ‘If you ever see something that bothers you, or that makes you feel yucky, please tell me, and I will help you.’”
If you catch your child watching porn or adult content:
1. Remain Calm
Being overly-emotional, angry, concerned and confused is normal… but won’t get you anywhere. Perhaps these words are enough to describe your feelings as a parent when you first find out that your child often watches adult videos.
However, the first thing you must do is to calm yourself down. This is so that you can begin a conversation with your child in an even-tempered manner.
2. Avoid Scolding Them
Don’t blame or scold your child. Stay calm and act maturely.
Show your support and care at all times. Get to know what exactly they have seen/read.
3. Provide Additional Supervision or Surveillance
What else can you do once you know that your child has come across/frequently watches pornographic videos? Parents can take the extra step by providing extra supervision at home and in school. This includes limiting their access to viewing adult videos and being wary of who they befriend.