Maid Saves Toddler After Bathroom Glass Door Shatters On Him
A little child was hurt recently after a bathroom glass door shattered by itself. It was a maid's quick thinking and presence of mind that saved the day.
A little child was hurt recently, after a bathroom glass door shattered by itself.
It was a maid's quick thinking and presence of mind that saved the day, and prevented the toddler from getting more hurt.
Toddler hurt after glass door shattered by itself
Mummy PeiRong recently posted about the frightening incident on Facebook.
She wrote, "Here’s a frightening yet touching story on how a Filipino helper Sheryl saved my toddler from an incident which took place at my sister’s house. I am grateful to her quick-witted and selfless act which prevented my son from further injuring himself."
The child had wanted to pee, and the family's helper, Jena, took him to the toilet.
"While Jena was flushing the toilet bowl, my son was trying to pull the sliding door forcibly thus as a result the glass door shattered on top of him, and the floor was covered with thousand of tiny glass shards."
"To my horror, I saw blood streaming down his face."
The shocked little child tried to escape from the place, unaware of the dangers posed by the broken glass pieces.
Thankfully, another maid, Sheryl shouted at him to keep still.
"Next, she told Jena who was in a state of shock to lift him up. Without a second thought, Sheryl walked into the toilet with her BAREFOOT to carry him out."
"She could have dangerously hurt herself but I was completely touched by her brave and selfless act. She is a remarkable person who always put others before herself. Luckily Jena and her is unharmed from this incident."
After the accident, the child was rushed to KKH emergency ward. Thankfully, he suffered only minor injuries.
"Fortunately, he only had a few minor cuts on its head and no stitches were required."
This mummy finally has an important warning for all parents. She cautions, "NEVER let your guard down by letting your children to touch or close the door if it’s made of glass. I’ve witnessed how dangerous it is if it shattered on you."
Here is her post on Facebook:
Glass door shattered by itself: Not the first time
Unfortunately, this is hardly the first time such a problem has been reported.
In 2014, a young girl suffered numerous cuts after the glass bathroom door in her home shattered while she was nearby.
And again in 2015, a mum had just finished bathing her 10-month old daughter, when her glass bathroom door shattered for no reason, leaving glass shards all over the floor.
In the same year, analyst Kevin Fong was shocked to enter his bathroom one day to find his glass shower cubicle in pieces all over the floor.
There are regulations for types of glass that can be used for the exterior of a building (windows, balconies etc). The type of glass used within the home however, is up to the home owner.
When it comes to using glass inside homes here are some things you should know:
- There are 2 main types of "safety glass": tempered glass and laminated glass.
- Don't go for cheaper glass: Normal untreated glass may be cheaper, but when it breaks, it breaks into shards with extremely sharp edges that can be dangerous.
When tempered glass breaks, however, it shatters into smaller pieces with 'softer' edges. Even if you get cut, injuries will be less severe.
Do note that laminated and tempered glass can cost up to 50 % more than untreated glass.
According to experts, there's a common misconception that any glass becomes 'safety glass' just because safety film has been applied on it.
(A safety film is a large piece of sticky tape pasted over glass to hold the shards together in case it breaks).
However, if the glass has not been treated properly, it can still cut through the film and hurt someone badly.
- You can check for the type of glass installed by checking the corner of the glass panel for the manufacturer's mark.