Learning through play keeps boredom at bay!
Children learn better through play, so let’s make learning fun again
Let’s be honest. The moment your child begins school, you start thinking of homework, exams, report cards and tuition classes. Scoring straight A’s is undoubtedly a wonderful thing, but the stress is real and it could make learning a chore. We think it’s time to make learning fun again, so let the children live, laugh and learn!
It’s no secret that children learn best when they’re having fun. These days, four-year-olds know more about the solar system and dinosaurs than their parents do! This is largely due to the many educational tools available today such as interactive books, educational videos, puzzles, and more. When children enjoy what they’re doing, they automatically absorb information, hence teaching them new knowledge and skills.
As confirmation to this, a study on The Importance of Play in Promoting Healthy Child Development and Maintaining Strong Parent-Child Bond by the American Academy of Paediatrics found that playing promotes healthy brain development.
The study states that “play allows children to use their creativity while developing their imagination, dexterity, and physical, cognitive, and emotional strength.” This supports the idea of learning through play, where we unleash our children’s playful side and creativity through exciting activities so they can experience learning in a more engaging way.
The American Academy of Paediatrics suggests that harnessing the power of play is a great way to teach children. Play…
- Enhances children’s engagement and interaction with the world around them
- Instills confidence, bravery and resiliency
- Helps children develop new skills – physical, cognitive and social – and literacy
- Expands vocabulary
- Teaches children to be team players through sharing, negotiating, problem-solving, and also gives valuable lessons about self-advocacy when working in a group
- Encourages children to discover their own interests and be passionate in pursuing them
- Builds active and healthy bodies
Through play, children receive valuable hands-on experiences that enhance their emotional, mental and physical development. The United Nations High Commission for Human Rights has even recognised play as a right of every child (read more about this here). So there you go! Playing is indeed learning and learning should always be fun.
Realising how important it is for children to learn in a fun and progressive environment, HP advocates learning through play via the HP Little Makers programme.
The HP Little Makers programme aims to inspire children to unleash their creativity by discovering their own ways of learning. The programme was designed to encourage children to learn on their own, through creativity, games, and – best of all – through quality time with their parents. How cool is that?
Now, get yourself and your Little Makers ready for a whole new world of learning!
Ready to play? Just follow these simple steps. And when you join, not only will your child unlock new ways of learning, you could also win great prizes!
- Download the HP Little Makers challenges from HP Malaysia at hp.com/my/littlemakers
- Carry out the challenges according to the instructions in the most creative way possible!
- Upload your completed challenges on social media.*
- Be sure to complete each entry by answering the question given for each challenge and don’t forget to add the hashtags: #HPMY, #HPDeskJet and #HPLittleMakers.
- Tag @hp_asia for entries via Instagram. Tag @HP_Malaysia for entries via Facebook.
- There are loads of prizes up for grabs. In order to win bi-weekly prizes, participants will need to answer the question of the week.
- All postings must be available on social media and set to “public” for six months from the date of entry.
* Set Instagram and/or Facebook profiles to “public”. Ensure that all postings are viewable throughout the entire contest period and until the announcement of the winners.
There will be five winners for each challenge and a total of 40 winners throughout the contest period.
The HP Little Makers Challenge Champion will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Complete contest entries (as instructed above)
- Complete submissions for all items in the bi-weekly challenge
- Answers to the question in every challenge (e.g.: What was the funniest moment you had with your child/teacher/parent throughout the process?). Participants with the most creative answers will be shortlisted.
The HP Little Makers Challenge Champions will receive prizes worth RM500 each. A wide variety of prizes are up for grabs, like HP printers, ink cartridges and education-related items to further empower your child’s learning.
Feeling inspired already? All set to make learning fun again? Well, what are you waiting for? Let the fun begin! Unleash your child’s learning through creativity and play.
Click here to join the HP Little Makers Contest now.