We don’t know about you, but growing up, there were very few toys that actually represented our Asian heritage. Most toys, like toys and cars and the like, mostly carried a lot of Western messaging and brands. Since many of the brands originated from Western countries, this should come as no surprise.
But recently, we are seeing a lot more Asian representation in toys and most recently, we see an iconic brand, LEGO, take on an Asian twist with their Chinese New Year LEGO sets.
Celebrating classic Chinese culture and legends with the LEGO® and LEGO® DUPLO sets is something that we never thought we would experience but it’s so wonderful that our children can now enjoy it. It is a great way to preserve our heritage through the generations.
So if you’re keen to get your child to learn more about their Chinese culture from a young age with these age-appropriate toys, here is what we recommend you get:
Chinese New Year LEGO Sets To Check Out
1. LEGO® Story of Nian (suitable for kids 8+)
This set is inspired by the Chinese legend where a mythical beast Nian comes around to attack villagers every Spring, and is only driven away by the colour red, fire, and loud noise.
Villagers back then would also stay up late to keep a watch for Nian during the eve of Chinese New Year. It was said that the story started the festival traditions of lighting firecrackers, Chinese New Year Eve’s vigil (守岁 shou sui), and the practice of wearing red for luck. It is also especially apt as we look to usher in 2021 with optimism and good luck after a challenging year.
The set features a brick-built Chinese residence with traditional decorations including buildable fireworks, firecrackers, hanging lanterns and Chinese couplet, a snowy scene that is brought to life with a posable Nian creature, a snowman figure and six minifigures including grandpa, grandma, three children and a person in an ox costume to mark the Year of the Ox in 2021.
Children will thus be able to learn the story about Nian and the various traditions that stemmed from the folklore in a fun way with LEGO bricks.
2. LEGO® Spring Lantern Festival (suitable for kids 8+)
This set recreates the magical atmosphere of the festival which marks the end of the lunar new year celebrations. It features a brick-built Chinese garden with moon gates, pavilion, bridge, pond with frog and koi fish figures, bamboo trees, a special ox lantern illuminated by a LEGO light brick as well as other must-have items during the festival like a rabbit lantern and a Tang Yuan rice ball. For a modern take, it even comes with features such as buildable bubble tea, mobile phone and selfie stick.
To inspire children to learn more about Chinese traditions when building, illustrations are added to the building instructions of the two sets, which will tell the legendary stories of Nian and The Lantern Festival. This is the first time this kind of feature appears in the LEGO Chinese Traditional Festival theme.
3. LEGO® DUPLO Town Happy Childhood Moments (suitable for kids 2+)
This DUPLO set introduces pre-schoolers to two exciting events with its two alternative building designs – the Chinese New Year celebrations as well as the first day at kindergarten. The children can play out Chinese New Year family traditions, including exchanging their red packets and eating dumplings, or choose to role-play and prepare for the daily routines of kindergarten.
A stand-out, feature-packed gift that lets pre-schoolers play and learn about the fun details of some of the big occasions in their lives, this is also the first LEGO DUPLO set that is customised for Chinese pre-school families.
All three sets are currently available in Malaysia at authorised sellers such as Toys”R”Us and Box of Bricks.
From 15 January 2021 till 21 February 2021, families can also visit the Mid Valley Megamall at Kuala Lumpur and The Mall, Mid Valley Southkey for a one-of-a-kind festive playground, named Moove Academy.
Over at Mid Valley Megamall Kuala Lumpur, shoppers can put their strength and agility to the test. From navigating the LEGO Year of the Ox in a gyro-sphere before escaping the maze board, to spinning a wheel and mastering yoga poses, there is so much to enjoy this Chinese New Year.
Other activities include checking out the dioramas by the Synergy LEGO User Group in Malaysia who have recreated scenes of Chinese New Year and LEGO themes such as LEGO City, LEGO Friends and LEGO Ninjago around the mall as well as photo opportunities with the LEGO CNY decorations at East Atrium, South and North Void areas of Mid Valley Megamall Kuala Lumpur.
Festive promotions await all shoppers too.
- 15 – 17 January 2021: As part of the first weekend special deal, every purchase of the LEGO Story of Nian (80106) and LEGO Spring Lantern Festival (80107) at the event in a single receipt will entitle shoppers to a Lunar New Year Prosperity bag that comes with LEGO red packets, a RM18 voucher, as well as limited-edition LEGO LNY Lantern, LEGO LNY Pagoda and LEGO Year of the Ox builds. This is limited to one redemption per person per receipt, while stocks last.
- 15 January – 21 February 2021: Shoppers who purchase LEGO playsets worth RM238 and above (excluding LEGO sets 80105, 80106, 80107) at the event will receive a limited-edition LEGO Year of the Ox. Those who have purchased LEGO playsets worth RM68 and above will receive a set of LEGO red packets. Purchases of LEGO City, LEGO Friends, LEGO DOTS and LEGO DUPLO playsets worth RM138 and above will also entitle shoppers to participate in a lucky dip for LEGO mystery gifts and stand a chance to win limited-edition LEGO Zodiac sets from previous years.
- 18 January – 21 February 2021: Shoppers who have purchased the LEGO Story of Nian (80106) and LEGO Spring Lantern Festival (80107) will receive a limited-edition LEGO LNY Lantern and LEGO LNY Pagoda as gifts with purchase, while stocks last.
Visit the LEGO Malaysia website and LEGO Malaysia Facebook page for more information on the Chinese New Year LEGO sets, the LEGO® Chinese New Year Event, as well as the latest offerings and promotions.