Physical and emotional stress is common during pregnancy. From morning sickness, headaches and lower back pain, to swollen ankles, insomnia and anxiety; pregnant women face many issues during this stage. While some of these issues linger for days, some just come and go without needing any treatment.
Nevertheless, the discomfort caused by these conditions can exhaust you, giving rise to additional stress. Your worry can also adversely affect your little baby.
Well, a good prenatal massage oil can come to your rescue and help you cope with most pregnancy-related issues.
The best massage oil or aromatherapy oils help alleviate issues like muscle pain, nausea, insomnia, stress and other common conditions, giving you a calming effect and ample health benefits.
But when you have to choose from a wide range of massage oils in the market – like ginger, peppermint, lavender or sunflower oil, how can you decide which one’s best for you?
How To Choose The Best Massage Oil For Pregnancy
When you wish to buy the best massage oil in the market, you must consider certain criteria to ensure that it suits your needs.
Check whether the oil:
- is safe
- has a nice scent
- has a relaxing effect
- alleviates muscle aches
- eliminates nausea
- reduces stretch marks
- improves sleep
- eases swelling
It’s also important that you avoid some oils such as sage, rue, camphor etc. as they can be toxic for you. Be sure to consult an expert on the matter if you are worried!
Choosing The Best Massage Oil
Regular prenatal massage during pregnancy not only helps moms relax but also relieves insomnia, joint pain, neck and back pain, leg cramps and sciatica.
In addition, prenatal massage can reduce swelling in the mother’s hands and feet, relieve carpal tunnel pain and reduce headaches and sinus congestion. Massage for pregnant mothers can also prevent depression without the use of medication, according to several scientific studies.
Knowing that there are so many benefits to prenatal massages, picking a good massage oil is definitely of utter importance!
Types of the Best Massage Oil For Pregnant Women
Among the massage oils that can be used for pregnant mothers are as follows:
- Lavender oil: It reduces anxiety, soothes and is excellent for relieving pain. Known as a balancing and all-purpose oil, this is a massage oil that is worth trying while pregnant.
- Ginger oil: Works as a natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory. Mothers can use it to relieve aches and pains during pregnancy.
- Sunflower oil: Absorbs into the skin quickly, and can even be the right oil to use for prenatal massage. It has a variety of health-enhancing nutrients and continues to be used as one of the best oils for prenatal massage.
- Grapefruit oil: It is ideal for use in baths or diffusers to enhance the senses and reduce fatigue. But during pregnancy, it can only be used in moderation.
- Grapeseed oil: It can make the skin softer and more elastic, thus preventing stretch marks. It can also increase vitamins E and C on your skin to be more effective!
Because we know that selecting a quality massage oil in accordance to your needs with so many in the market isn’t an easy task, we have narrowed down the top 5 pregnancy massage oils for you!
Best Massage Oil Suitable For Prenatal Use
#1 Mama’s Choice Relaxing Massage Oil
Mama’s Choice Relaxing Massage Oil is made from a natural, gentle, and light formula and is suitable for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. Its use will leave the skin fresh, soft and not dry!
If you’re looking for a non-greasy lavender massage oil to soothe your senses, then go for Mama’s Choice Relaxing Massage Oil.
It’s made with natural ingredients like lavender, grapefruit and orange that help calm your mind, improve blood circulation, heal wounds, reduce irritation and blemishes, prevent wrinkles and maintain the skin’s oil balance.
Prenatal massage with this oil also improves your sleep quality, relieves stress, stabilises the hormones and attenuates body aches. No wonder Singapore mums are in awe of this product!
What we love
- Has natural ingredients – lavender, grapefruit, orange
- Works as a massage oil, aromatherapy oil, skin moisturiser etc.
- Suitable for pregnant/breastfeeding mums
- Dermatologically tested
- Mild, non-greasy
- Suitable for all skin types
#2 Green Herbology Lavender Massage Oil
Green Herbology massage oil is a 100% pure grade therapeutic oil blended with minerals. This means that it is extremely gentle and hypoallergenic, it can be applied to the skin directly!
This body oil nourishes and repairs your skin, giving your skin a healthy glow. The oil calms your senses and the dry skin repair leaves you feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
This oil hydrates and repairs your skin like no other moisturiser and even minimizes cellulite and stretch marks. No more itchy, dry skin!
When used as a massage oil, this product soothes and relieves, eases headaches, digestive problems, body aches and also help with insomnia and anxiety.
The soothing properties of essential oils induce physical and mental relaxation while increasing skin elasticity!
What we love
- 100% pure essential oils – lavender
- Suitable for those who are sensitive to artificial fragrance
- Contains only pure Essential Oils
- Hypoallergenic: Suitable for all skin types
- Can be used as massage and body oil
#3 Tanamera Carrier Oil
This Malaysian-made massage oil is excellent for all massage methods. The oil has emulsifiers that are naturally derived from coconut and palm kernel oil infused in it.
What’s special about this oil is that it can be rinsed off with water. Pretty miraculous isn’t it!
This product is great for those of us who dislike the sticky, oily feeling most massage oils leave us with. Furthermore, it is fragrance-free and all-natural.
What we love
- Has natural ingredients – grape seed, sunflower, jojoba, wheat germ and virgin coconut oil
- Lightweight and non-greasy
- Leaves the skin feeling soft
- A perfect natural base for your favourite essential oils
#4 Tanamera Ginger Blend Massage Oil
Tanamera Ginger Blend Oil is a blend of oils targeted to relieve muscle and abdominal cramps, reduce inflammation, and help with nerve fatigue and stress-related conditions.
Ginger has been proven to be a natural cure for discomfort. Bid goodbye to motion sicknesses, nausea, bloating, and indigestion with this pure and calming essential massage oil.
If you like the smell of ginger during a massage session, this product is suitable because it can give you a spa feel!
The pleasant scent relaxes your senses and relieves stress from your mind and body, instantly gearing you up for your next course of action.
Features we love:
- Suitable for pregnant mums, relieves nausea, indigestion, motion sickness and gas bloating
- Reasonably priced
- 100% pure essential oils – lavender, peppermint, ginger, spearmint
- Aromatherapy oil
- Therapeutic quality
What we love
- Has natural ingredients – ginger, lemongrass etc.
- Ginger stimulates blood circulation to relieve nausea and vomiting
- Lemongrass and lemon oil used are beneficial for the circulatory system.
- Lavender oil also helps the digestive system better.
#5 ATOPALM Maternity Care Massage Oil
Formulated with MLE and Ceramide, AUTOPALM massage oil helps restore the skin’s protective moisture barrier system.
At the same time, ingredients phytosqualane and collagen nourishes the skin with water and nutrients to soothe skin irritation and make skin feel smooth and look healthy.
This oil is very light and clean. It is formulated to help relieve the dryness and itchiness that occurs during and after pregnancy.
This product is free from harmful ingredients and great for moisturizing dry skin.
What we love
- Enriched with Meadowfoam Seed Oil and Macadamia Seed Oil
- Makes skin smooth and supple
- Contains Brassica Campestris (Rapeseed) flower extract which has nourishing qualities
- Filled with Vitamins A and C
- Formulated with MLE and Ceramide that help restore the skin’s protective moisture barrier system.
- Lightweight and safe for daily use
- This product is free of artificial pigments, parabens, artificial fragrances, ethanol, mineral oil, phenoxyethanol, benzophenone, PG. PEG and diethanolamine.
Disclaimer: You are not allowed to share this article on any other website or on Facebook without providing proper credit and the original article link on theAsianparent Malaysia website
Read more: How to Choose the Right Pregnancy-Safe Shampoo That Is Safe for Mums & Baby