Often, we receive questions from our patients, whether can they bring their pregnant wife to come for chiropractic care, and hence we will talk about pregnancy and chiropractic care!
Changes And Pains During Pregnancy
During pregnancy, your body is experiencing major changes. During the first trimester, pregnant ladies are experiencing an increasing reflux of reproductive hormones, leading them to have symptoms like morning sickness, fatigue, and headache. (1). As time progresses to the second trimester, baby is starting to grow bigger, pregnant mothers are starting to have less symptoms, but more pain. (2) The most faced problems are (3,4):
- Low back pain
- Pubic symphysis pain
- Leg pain/ cramps
- Pelvic girdle pain
- Round ligament pain (Pain along the underwear line)
Why Is There So Much Pain During Pregnancy?
This is because during pregnancy, the ligaments in the body become soft and stretch to prepare for labour. However, this can put a strain on the joints of the pelvic and low back, which can cause low back pain. Besides, as the baby grow bigger in mother’s belly, the mother’s back will become more curve, which press on disc, joint and nerve, and eventually leads to pain.
How Chiropractic Helps?
Chiropractic care especially the Webster technique helps to realign the pelvic bone by correcting the subluxation/ misalignment of the bone and work on the pelvic muscles and ligaments. This helps to (5,6):
- Restore the pelvic alignment
- Reduce tension around the pelvic muscles and ligament
- Allow a nice and comfortable space for baby to grow in the belly
- Improved space for fetus movement with pelvic alignment restoration
What Is Webster Technique?(6)
The webster technique is a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment that helps to balance the pelvic bones, muscle, and ligament, restore the nervous system of the mother, and to optimize their pelvic function throughout the whole pregnancy and birth.
Is Chiropractic Safe During Pregnancy?
Yes! Chiropractic care is safe throughout every stage of pregnancy. According to studies, chiropractic treatment may be considered safe and effective to treat musculoskeletal symptoms that affect pregnant mothers (7)! Chiropractic adjustments on pregnant mothers differ from standard chiropractic adjustments in that they are more specific, less forceful, and gentler due to the looser ligaments during pregnancy and there will be more cushion to support the belly during the treatment.
- Development P. Pregnancy Stages: Trimesters [Internet]. SheCares. 2021 [cited 8 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.shecares.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-stages-trimesters
- Second trimester pains: Causes, symptoms, and treatment [Internet]. Medicalnewstoday.com. 2021 [cited 8 July 2021]. Available from: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323799#when-to-see-a-doctor
- Headaches during pregnancy [Internet]. Pregnancybirthbaby.org.au. 2022 [cited 7 March 2022]. Available from: https://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.au/headaches-during-pregnancy
- Bernard M, Tuchin P. Chiropractic Management of Pregnancy-Related Lumbopelvic Pain: A Case Study. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2016;15(2):129-133.
- Chiropractor While Pregnant: Benefits [Internet]. Healthline. 2022 [cited 3 June 2022]. Available from: https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/chiropractor-while-pregnant#How-can-chiropractic-care-help-during-pregnancy?
- About the Webster Technique [Internet]. Icpa4kids.com. 2022 [cited 3 June 2022]. Available from: https://icpa4kids.com/training/webster-certification/webster-technique/
- Borggren C. Pregnancy and chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 2007;6(2):70-74.
This article is written by Webster Certified Chiropractor - Dr Michelle Fong of TAGS Chiropractic & Rehabilitation.
Disclaimer: You are not allowed to share this article on any other website or on Facebook without providing proper credit and the original article link on theAsianparent Malaysia website