What is Hari Raya Haji?
Hari Raya Haji is a special day, to remember Nabi Ibrahim “sacrificed” his son as a sign of obedience towards Allah. This day also marks the end of the Haj season where thousands of Malaysians would go to Makkah for pilgrimage.
What happens during Hari Raya Haji? Do they chill at home and watch TV?
No. In the morning, our Muslim brothers and sisters will go to the mosques to pray. After prayers, the men will stay back at the mosque for the sacrificial ceremony where four-legged livestock (Normally cows and goats) will be killed and their meat distributed to the poor and needy.
Where do they get the livestock?
The livestocks come from Muslim farms all over the country.
How much do they cost? Aren’t they expensive?
They livestock are paid for by donors and sometimes, even religious bodies in Malaysia.
Goats costs around RM500–RM630
Cows costs around RM8,800–RM10,000
Isn’t it…. mean?
The animals are slaughtered in a Halal manner according to Islamic rites, which means:
1) The animals are slaughtered by pious Muslims with a sound mind that means they don’t simply kill animals for fun, rather, they kill the animals only for food.
2) It is done manually using a steel knife.
3) The slaughterman must sever the respiratory tract, esophagus and the jugular vein.
4) The knife must be rinsed after each kill.
5) The animal must be completely dead before further processes like skinning, cutting the meat can take place.
6) The act of slaughtering shall be done with niyyah (intention) in the name of
Allah and not for other purposes.
7) Must give blessings/tasmiyyah before slaughtering
The halal method is more humane compared to other methods out there. There is no eating animals when they’re still alive or writhing in pain.
Can I get a pack of meat?
No. In order to receive a pack of meat, you have to register in a mosque and fill in some forms to prove that you’re poor and needy before you qualify for the meat.
How can I donate?
You must go to the mosque, place your order and the mosque will compile and handle all the orders.
Hari Raya Haji or Hari Raya Korban is a celebration of supreme submission to God, which is the cornerstone of the Islamic faith. Islam means submission and this is a beautiful day to remember the message.