Woman dies after drinking fruit juice to treat gout
The 28-year-old woman drank the purple fruit juice to relieve the gout pain in her legs. Sadly it was also the cause of her death...
She had been drinking the purple fruit juice from Geylang for 6 months because she thought it was effective in treating gout pain in legs.
Sadly, on Friday 21 September 2018, the 28-year-old Singapore woman passed away. Suspicious that the juice had something to do with her untimely death, her family got it tested.
It was found to contain high levels of steroid. The family were also shocked to know that the fruit juice's sale had been banned for over a year now in Singapore.
False claims of treating gout pain in legs
According to Sinchew, Titinlismawati used to buy the fruit juice from a Geylang store (but it was made in Malaysia). She also recommended it to her father, who experienced immediate pain relief too.
However, he felt suspicious and worried about the instant effects of the juice, and stopped drinking it soon after.
He has been quoted as saying, “I too drank it once or twice and the pain did go away right after. I couldn’t believe it as it was too miraculous and was worrying if it contains strong ingredients.”
Titinlismawati though, remained convinced by the juice's powers and continued to drink it...until her death.
On the ill-fated day, Titinlismawati was taken to hospital after she complained of excessive back pain. Doctors diagnosed her with stomach flu, but her condition deteriorated rapidly.
Her father says, “The doctor said it was just stomach flu. She consumed the medicine dispensed on the spot but at 11 am after returning home, she started having breathing difficulty and kept gasping for air.”
Beware of such false claims
She started sweating profusely and showed difficulty in breathing. Her temperature dropped too.
She was rushed back to hospital, but in vain.
“The doctor asked us if we want to continue saving her and said even if we managed to bring her back, her brain could be dead. We insisted on saving her but to no avail. She passed away at 9 pm", said her father.
The family gave the fruit juice to the authorities for testing. The juice was found to contain high levels of a steroid called Dexamethasone.
Dexamethasone is a potent corticosteroid that can cause an increase in blood glucose levels leading to diabetes, high blood pressure, cataract, muscular and bone disorders, and other infections.
Some common side effects from consuming the steroid include nausea and vomiting, severe headache, blurred vision, pounding in the neck or ears, and shortness of breath.
The exact name of the fruit juice has not yet been revealed, but there are many guesses going around.
Some banned products
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Health in Malaysia has banned three health juices, produced under Sri Saga Marketing Sdn Bhd, a company which does not exist. Yes, checks found that the company stated on the products' labels did not exist!
The banned products are:
- Jus Sunnah Gold 1001 Khasiat Jus Alternatif
- Jus Al Sunnah 1001 Khasiat Jus Alternatif
- and Jus Penawar 1001 Khasiat Jus Alternatif Resdung
Health Director Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah declared that, "Jus Al Sunnah, Jus Al Sunnah Gold and Jus Al-Sunnah Penawar products issued by Sri Saga Marketing S/B also contained dexamethasone and prednisolone, which is a steroid substance prohibited under the Food Act 1983."
“Those who have been using any of these products are advised to seek advice and treatment from doctors or health professionals immediately."
He also stressed that sales of the three items, including via online, were prohibited.